3 réponses à ce sujet

#1 eclacroix

eclacroix

Nouveau

• Membres
  • Pip
  • 2 messages

Posté 27 novembre 2005 - 22:41

iDive will be very useful as I capture all my DV cassettes to hard disk. With 36 tapes, I think I will need a bigger hard drive!

Some of the video should be kept safe from prying eyes ph34r.gif - I wish there was a way to protect Libraries, Tapes, Sequences and Clips from unauthorized users other than just protecting the physical computer or the hard drive.

This would be helpful in future versions, perhaps, because this software's next big step could be to allow centralization of video clip storage in a network environment. an iPhoto server and an iDive server would be fantastic additions to any media-rich network!! But without security on the items, people probably would not want to post their work.

Security within iDive could help in Film Lab environments where groups of students may access the same libraries but not need access to all video within those libraries for a certain project.

Merci

#2 matthieu

matthieu

Fondateur d'Aquafadas

• Membres
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 messages

Posté 27 novembre 2005 - 23:12

Hi,

Security is a key feature in the version of iDive you describe...we are well aware of that. Access control will be properly designed.

In its current, single user version, we've had some requests to be able to easily hide whole libraries ...is that something you would want to see ? With a simple password ? Hiding data in the iDive source browser would of course not prevent people from accessing that data (movie files) directly from your disk, if they somehow gain that access.

Best regards,

Matthieu
Aquafadas

#3 eclacroix

eclacroix

Nouveau

• Membres
  • Pip
  • 2 messages

Posté 28 novembre 2005 - 01:11

QUOTE (matthieu @ 27 11 2005, 23:12)
Hi,

Security is a key feature in the version of iDive you describe...we are well aware of that. Access control will be properly designed.

In its current, single user version, we've had some requests to be able to easily hide whole libraries ...is that something you would want to see ? With a simple password ? Hiding data in the iDive source browser would of course not prevent people from accessing that data (movie files) directly from your disk, if they somehow gain that access.

Best regards,

Matthieu
Aquafadas

That could be helpful! It would keep the less-smart users from going where they should not.

Ultimately, hiding libraries would be "security by obscurity" if the files were still accessible on a local hard drive. Perhaps what I am asking for is not feasible because, for ultimate security, 1) you would need to ENCRYPT digital video files!!!! not a very efficient task... or 2) you would need to somehow maintain access privileges at the operating system level... meaning you would lose the portability of your libraries, which is a VERY nice feature!

so I guess it doesn't make sense to have tight local-only security, beyond the password scheme you mentioned. A very security-conscious customer would need to have the networked product and rely on a combination of server ACLs for security... either filesystem-based through AFP or SMB, or service-based if you are designing a custom "iDive" service which could then maintain its own internal database of users and rights (or integrate wtih LDAP).

wow, sounds like a very big project! wacko.gif AND it sounds like you may be working on it already... biggrin.gif

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Eric

#4 adesir

adesir

Administrateur

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4 354 messages
  • Interests:Sobriété, efficacité, renouvelable !
  • Mac : iMac 5K 2017
  • Version OS X : 10.14

Posté 28 novembre 2005 - 07:36

Hi,

Since I'm a network admin, I would simply implement this only with user rights on a single computer or with ACLs on a Tiger server. Here, the only thing we need is a clear understanding of folders used by iDive. For high level security, you can use FileVault on a single Mac (which is a performance problem with video applications) or encrypted folders on a network server.

Why double the security tools in iDive, since we already have them in Mac OS X (Unix access rights, Fast user switching, FileVault)?

Antoine

0 utilisateur(s) li(sen)t ce sujet

0 membre(s), 0 invité(s), 0 utilisateur(s) anonyme(s)